Hassleback Potato Skillet Bake
Prep: 5 mins Cooking: 1 hour
I always seem to end up with surplus potatoes or bacon as they come in large packs. This simple but delicious dish is an exciting way to use up the excess – and it’s usually even more yummy than the meal I bought the ingredients for in the first place! Cook with Le Creuset Cast Iron 26cm Frying Pan with metal handle.
- 8 potatoes (waxy varieties like Charlotte or Anya are best as they hold together well)
- 5 tablespoons melted butter or olive oil
- 4 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons thyme
- 2 tablespoons rosemary
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 2 teaspoons smoked sea salt
- 200g lardons
- Preheat the oven to 210°C/ Gas Mark 6
- Slice a thin layer off the length of a potato – this creates a base for hasselbacking them. Place the potato flat side down on a surface, then with a sharp knife slice three-quarters of the way through it, about ½ cm apart. Repeat with all the potatoes.
- Finely chop all the herbs then place in a bowl with the oil and spices. Brush the potatoes with the herb mix, sprinkle them with smoked sea salt and nestle them in the skillet pan.
- Bake the potatoes in the oven for 50 minutes then top with lardons and then bake again for an additional 10 minutes.
- I love to eat this with steamed broccoli or a fresh green salad spritzed with lemon.