Mary's Fruit Cake
This moist fruit cake recipe is designed for use with a Le Creuset 22cm round cocotte.
- 500g mixed dried fruit
- 425g can crushed pineapped (drained)
- 50g glace cherries, halved
- 125 butter or margarine
- 175g soft brown sugar
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- A good pinch of salt
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 150g plain flour
- 2 medium eggs, beaten
- Pre heat your oven to 160°C / 325°F / Gas mark 3. (For a fan oven reduce to 150°C /300°F / Gas mark 2.)
- Line the cocotte with a preshaped 20cm deep cake tin liner, or line with greaseproof paper.
- Put the first six ingredients into a mixing bowl and microwave on high power for 3 minutes.
- Mix well, then add all the remaining ingredients and mix again.
- Transfer to the lined cocotte and level the top. Decorate with a few blanched almonds if it is to be a plain fruit cake.
- Cook below the centre of the oven for approximately 1¼ 1½ hours, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out cleanly.
- Cook in the cocotte for 10-15 minutes then turn out and cool thoroughly.
If you do not have a microwave oven, put the first six ingredients into a large saucepan and heat gently until the fat is melted, then continue with the receipe.
Don’t decorate with blanched almonds, but turn upside down and cover with marzipan and ready to roll icing for the perfect Christmas cake!