Roasted Paprika Butternut Squash
Prep: 15 mins Cooking: 45 mins
Serves 4, as a hearty side
Butternut squash is the ultimate autumnal vegetable - vibrant in colour and flavour when roasted. This roasted vegan dish is hearty and comforting. Great as a main meal or a simple but stunning side.
- 500g baby potatoes, halved
- 400g butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 3 sprigs of rosemary, finely chopped
- 3 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Sea salt
- 1 tablespoon rapeseed oil, and a little extra for the kale
- 100g winter kale
For the Romesco Sauce
- 100g blanched almonds
- 50g blanched hazelnuts
- 50g stale bread
- 200g jar of roasted red peppers
- 1 teaspoon tomato puree
- 2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 heaped teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper, to season
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C/ Gas Mark 6
- Place the potatoes in a pan of salted boiling water and parboil until you can just insert a knife (al-dente). Drain and place in the Stoneware Heritage Rectangular Dish.
- In the meantime, make the Romesco sauce. Toast the nuts in a dry pan or alternatively in a hot oven for a couple of minutes, ensuring they don’t burn. Place the nuts along with all the other ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth. Set aside until ready to serve.
- Add the butternut squash to the potato in the dish along with the rosemary, 2 teaspoons of paprika and a generous pinch of salt. Drizzle with the oil and toss to coat all the vegetables. Bake in the oven for 35 minutes turning the vegetables a couple of times during cooking.
- For the last 10 minutes of cooking toss the kale in with a dash more oil, the final teaspoon of paprika and a little seasoning. You may want to stir the kale into the other ingredients, so the leaves do not burn on the top.
- Remove the roasted vegetables from the oven and dot in the Romesco sauce. Season with a little cracked black pepper and then serve in the dish straight to the table.
- If you have a nut allergy try swapping the almonds and hazelnuts for toasted seeds such as sunflower seeds. Simply use 100g seeds and 100g bread with the remaining sauce ingredients.