Dutch Baby Pancake with Salted Caramel
Prep: 25 mins Cooking: 25 mins
A golden brown popover that’s German in origin, the Dutch Baby makes the perfect statement breakfast or dessert. This beautifully puffed pancake is easily baked in the oven and can be served sweet or savoury. Decadent salted caramel sauce, vanilla ice cream and toasted coconut turn this dish into a mouthful of pure hedonism.
For the Salted Caramel Sauce
- 250ml fresh cream
- 3 Tbsp. dark brown muscovado sugar
- a pinch of flaked sea salt
For the Dutch Baby Pancake
- 125ml of cake flour, sifted
- 100ml milk
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 2 Tbsp. icing sugar
- vanilla ice cream, to serve
- In a saucepan, gently heat the cream with the sugar until combined. Reduce until the sauce reaches a syrupy consistency. Add the salt to the sauce just before serving.
- Blend the flour, milk, eggs, vanilla extract and salt until smooth.
- Melt the butter in a Le Creuset Signature Skillet until bubbling and pour in the batter. Place the skillet in an oven preheated to 200°C and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until puffed up and golden brown.
- To serve, dust liberally with icing sugar, scoop some vanilla ice cream into the centre of the Baby and pour as much Salted Caramel Sauce as desired.