Self-saucing Chocolate & Cherry Sponge Pudding
A decadent dessert ideal for a cold Winter’s day, this self-saucing pudding couldn’t be simpler. With rich, chocolatey, melt-in-the-middle sponge and the burst of sweet cherry, this dessert has all the comforting flavours of a Black Forest Gateau.
- 260g self-raising flour
- 150g caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 50g cocoa powder
- 100g unsalted butter, melted
- 150ml milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 3 eggs
- 1 tin cherry pie filling
For the sauce
- 180g soft brown sugar
- 250ml boiling water
- 30g cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee
- Preheat the oven to 190˚C/ Gas Mark 5
- In a large bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and cocoa. In a separate jug gently whisk together the melted butter, milk, vanilla and eggs.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and fold in all the ingredients until well combined and a thick, chocolatey batter is created.
- In a Stoneware 24cm Round Dish pour in the cherry pie filling and carefully spoon the chocolate mixture on top trying to keep separate layers. Smooth the batter to the edge of the dish with a palette knife or the back of a spoon.
- Add all of the sauce ingredients to a large jug and stir to combine. Place the chocolate sponge dish on the wire rack of the oven and carefully pour over the sauce mixture. At this stage it will look very runny, but this will thicken during cooking. Bake for 35 minutes.
- Once the sponge starts to slightly crack on the top and springs back when lightly touched remove from the oven and leave to set for 5-7 minutes.
- Serve with lightly whipped cream, fresh cherries and a sprinkling of icing sugar.