A combination of rich, sweet caramel with dark bitter chocolate, this hot chocolate is sheer indulgence. Topped with lashings of cream and a drizzle of warm Dulce de Leche, these hot chocolates are made even more special when served alongside shortbread stars.
- 400ml milk
- 160ml double cream
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 100g Dulce de Leche
- Pinch of salt
- Squirty cream
- 1 tablespoon Dulce de Leche, gently melted
- Shortbread stars
- 100g caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 15g whole blanched almonds
- Place all the hot chocolate ingredients in a heavy-bottom saucepan and place over a medium heat.
- Warm the milk and cream whilst gently whisking to dissolve the cocoa powder. Once the cocoa powder is incorporated and the Dulce de Leche has dissolved, serve into two mugs.
- Top with squirty cream and drizzle with melted Dulce de Leche. Finishing by adding a shortbread star to the edge of the mug and serve.
This recipe is easily multiplied, simply double up if serving four.
For a less rich option, swap the milk and cream for a milk alternative like coconut or oat milk.